So it has been awhile since I have last posted. So I decided to give you a little bit of insight into why and what I have been up to lately in Finland.
So most likely when you are making the decision to come study in Jyväskylä it is for a masters program, and with that masters program will most likely require a Thesis to be completed at the end of your studies, and in my case I am writing and completing my thesis in Helsinki…. So this is where I stop talking about my thesis and I start talking about all the other fun things I have been doing instead of my thesis…. (Just joking… I write my thesis during “working hours” and of course play around the rest of the time)… So here are some things I have been up to…
- Train trips between Jyväskylä and Helsinki
- Visit from a Canadian friend!
- Cabin time!
- Sauna experiences…with the ice hole!
- Trail walking, skiing and walking across lakes!
- Swedish cruise
- Biking around Helsinki
- Meeting Tarja Halonen!
- Pond hockey in Helsinki
10. Drinking coffee with friends!
Although a lot of my time recently has been spent in Helsinki lets examine some of the things I have done here and compare to what you can do in Jyväskylä (JKL)….
- As the cabin was in Petäjävesi it is closer to JKL — 1 JKL, 0 Helsinki
- There are also saunas in JKL – 2-1
- There are lots of trails, and lakes to walk across in JKL, but Helsinki also has the Baltic to walk on, lakes and plenty of paths. – 3-2
- As you can leave for the Swedish cruise from Helsinki, or Turku I will have to give Helsinki the point here 😉 – 3.5-3, ALTHOUGH, JKL does have some boat cruises around the lakes when they un-thaw (.5 for JKL!)
- Biking is great in both cities year round, although I am going to give the edge to JKL as its more fun because more people do it! – 4.5-4
- There are lots of outdoor ice surfaces in JKL and Helsinki, free of charge – 5.5-5
- As JYP (professional hockey team in JKL) finished in 2nd and Jokerit (Helsinki professional hockey team), finished in 1st I am going to say the caliber of hockey is similar, and both can be affordable for students to attend. — 6.5 – 6
- Coffee is everywhere in Finland, BUT I am going to give Helsinki an extra .5 as it can supply those coffee aficionados with their fix of gourmet coffee shop options – 7.5 – 7.5
As you can see, the type of fun that I have in both cities is personally ranked around the same, although the real fun is where your friends are. Luckily, I have a few hanging around Helsinki too!
Much love for Jyväskylä & my current home Helsinki…